A Brief History of Westbourne Hall

      On 15th May 1915, the Church of England purchased land to build
      a “Church House or institute” to be used for both religious and
      “communal activities” known as St. Bridget’s Parish Hall.

      In the late 1960’s the Trustees and Church Council found it difficult
      to maintain and run the building, and in 1971 Hoylake and Urban
      District Council purchased the building and surrounding land.
      Under the umbrella of the Local Authority, the building became
      known as West Kirby Public Hall.

      On 1st April 1974, part of the land at the rear of the Centre
      was leased to the West Kirby Guide Association, on which they
      built the present Girl Guide premises.

In April 1994, the Centre was taken over by the Community Division of the Local Authority. Local residents and users of the Centre were encouraged to take an active role in it’s management. In 1995, a Steering Committee was formed which culminated in the establishment of the Joint Management Committee for whom charitable status was obtained.

In 2001, the Joint Management Committee agreed a twenty-five year lease with Wirral Metropolitan Borough Council. Since it’s inception the Joint Management Committee of the Centre has undertaken considerable refurbishment programmes.

  • In 2000 with aid from the National Lottery, the building was altered and extended.
  • In 2007 the Connor Suite was refurbished.
  • In 2008 the main hall was refurbished.
We are looking forward to many years of continued public and social use of this excellent facility.

<<<<< HOME